Types of Lung Diseases & Their Causes In Greenville, TX
There are several diseases that can affect the lungs. Examples of lung diseases include asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, and cancer. A common symptom of many lung diseases is difficulty breathing, but other symptoms can also develop. Treatments are available for helping patients manage the symptoms associated with a particular lung disease. At Greenville Pulmonary Associates in Greenville, TX, Dr. Mohan Philip can diagnose a lung disease and recommend treatment options.
The many types of lung disease can affect different areas of the lungs. Some conditions affect the airways, including asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema. Other lung diseases affect the alveoli, which are the air sacs comprising the majority of tissue in the lungs. Pneumonia develops in the alveoli, as do many forms of lung cancer. Some lung diseases affect other areas, such as the interstitium and the pleura. The interstitium is a thin lining between the alveoli, while the pleura is a thin lining surrounding each lung.
Examples of various lung diseases or conditions and their causes include:
- Asthma: Often caused by allergies, pollution, or sinus infections.
- Bronchitis: Some types are caused by viral infections.
- Pneumonia: Bacteria is a common cause of this condition.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): Often caused by extended exposure to irritants, such as tobacco smoke.
- Lung cancer: One cause is habitual smoking or secondhand exposure to tobacco smoke. Other causes include exposure to radon gas or carcinogens, such as asbestos.
- Emphysema: Often caused by habitual smoking.
- Tuberculosis: Caused by bacteria known as mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Cystic fibrosis: Caused by heredity.
Treatments for Lung Diseases
The method used for treating lung disease depends on the specific type of lung disease and the areas of the lungs it affects. Many lung cancers are treated through a variety of methods, including chemotherapy, radiation therapy, drug therapy, or surgery. A lung condition such as asthma can be treated through several methods, as well. Treatments include portable rescue inhalers, nebulizers, medications, or even immunotherapy when allergies are the cause. The treatment for others types of lung diseases can require oxygen therapy.
There are many types of lung disease that can affect different areas of the lungs and cause various symptoms. A doctor can recommend appropriate treatments for specific forms of lung disease.